[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun Sep 12 17:02:51 EDT 2021

> Owen DeLong wrote :
> I know you don’t like that answer because for some reason, you prefer the ongoing pain of IPv4 vs. the small short-term pain of deploying IPv6, but there it is.

What you call short-term is 20 years and counting. I eliminated IPX in one year, and it was the #1 protocol at the time. For the last 20 years, I have heard that IPv6 would become the dominant protocol in 2 years. For the last TWENTY years.

> I use more. Are you going to claim that my choice not to NAT is somehow invalid?

In an IPv4 world, yes. It's irresponsible.

> You’ve admitted that there are valid reasons for at least 6 addresses per household.

No. This setup is a hodge-podge that has no reason to be. In all of my branches all across the USA, I use only one IP and the eight or sixteen that come automatically are wasted. Intentionally.

> ISDN was quite widely deployed and, in fact, is still in widespread use, just not for data for the most part.

Oh ? where ? I did have a few PRIs at $job[-1], but there were local to my closet; the back end was SIP.
For a variety of reasons, it was easier to communicate with legacy equipment with PRI trunks, but they came out of an Asterisk server; was a lot cheaper to buy a few Quad-PRI PCI express cards than upgrading a legacy system.

Michel.