[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Sep 9 14:11:55 EDT 2021

On 9/8/2021 7:21 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message<c2fff61c-f6c7-9dfc-2f0c-4d88bd4b599f at gmail.com>,
>
> I suspect that I am not alone in feeling that leasing is not, in and of
> itself, evil.  What -does- chap my hide, and that of many others also
> I think, is the sight of some parties involved in the leasing business
> that have minimized their costs/investments while maximizing their ROI,
> and who have done so based on the relatively minor cost&  effort needed
> to acquire IPv4 addresses directly from the RIR free pools, past or present.
>
> Call it envy if you like.  It doesn't matter.  Nobody likes to see the
> system gamed except for the people who gamed it.  And most of us have to
> actually work for a living.

The simple reality is there's not enough IPv4 for everyone in the world
to participate on the Internet.

People talk about "balkanization" of the Internet the reality is it's
already happened.

The "haves" have IPv4.  The "have not's" have....nothing.  They could
easily have IPv6.  But the "haves" have made IPv6 worthless for internet
access because they are too fragging lazy to learn anything about TCP/IP
networking beyond  192.168.1.1

Those are the people that chap my hide and I don't hesitate to call
their lazy asses out.  I have a site in the Pacific Northwest on
Spectrum Cable.  Spectrum is a trade name of Charter Communications
a multi-billion dollar ISP in the US.  My site is on
a business connection, on a cable modem given to me by Spectrum that
was manufactured less than a year ago.

Spectrum has no IPv6 available and doesn't even know WTF it is.  They
have more money than God but still don't include IPv6 to their BUSINESS
customers.  I guess they are too busy leaning over their boardroom in
NYC snorting all that money down in fine white power.

You wanna be chapped?  Be chapped by companies like them.

Ted