[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Sep 8 22:21:55 EDT 2021

In message <c2fff61c-f6c7-9dfc-2f0c-4d88bd4b599f at gmail.com>,
Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:

>I am glad that more most people seem to reject the idea that IP leasing
>may be a good or even justified thing, including for those who end up
>paying for it.

Speaking only for myself, I am not opposed to leasing, in principal, however...

I hate to use cryptocurrencies either as an example, or for any other purpose
for that matter, but that won't prevent me from using an analogy based on
that particular category of fungible commodity on this occasion.

Cryptocurrencies, as I'm sure you all know, are either bought from someone
who already owns some such, or else pieces of this commodity are manufactured
anew by someone.  This latter route to acquisition is generally understood
to involve the investment of some quantity of "work", which itself usually
entails both the acqusition and application of some amount of expertise,
together with some amount of $$$s spent on mining equipment and electricity.

In general, the payoff for such investments is typically some function of
the size of the investment(s).

As elsewhere in the global economy, in the case of cryptocurrencies there
is no such thing as a free lunch.

I suspect that I am not alone in feeling that leasing is not, in and of
itself, evil.  What -does- chap my hide, and that of many others also
I think, is the sight of some parties involved in the leasing business
that have minimized their costs/investments while maximizing their ROI,
and who have done so based on the relatively minor cost & effort needed
to acquire IPv4 addresses directly from the RIR free pools, past or present.

Call it envy if you like.  It doesn't matter.  Nobody likes to see the
system gamed except for the people who gamed it.  And most of us have to
actually work for a living.

Regards,
rfg