[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 8 21:45:27 EDT 2021

Fernando -

The ARIN AC _administers_ the ARIN policy process – this means that they engage the community, listen to them, edit proposals based on that input, and help move each proposal to its appropriate conclusion based on the views of the community – it is not unlike what Policy WG chairs do in other regions - only we have 15 of them on a body referred to as the ARIN Advisory Council.

For example, it is easy to find instances of ARIN AC discussions where one or more AC members has remarked along the lines of “The community showed strong support of this draft policy at the last public policy meeting, and so despite the fact that I am not personally a fan of it, I support it advancing to the next stage.”

In short, I’d recommend some very carefully study of the ARIN Policy Development Process before drawing conclusion about its structure or strengths compared to other appraoches.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO