[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Sep 7 20:59:35 EDT 2021

On 7 Sep 2021, at 4:04 PM, Chris Woodfield <chris at semihuman.com<mailto:chris at semihuman.com>> wrote:
For the record, ARIN’s PDP does explicitly empower the Board to reject or remand a Recommended Draft Policy that has reached community consensus: https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/#8-board-of-trustees-review This is rare, but it has happened, with ARIN-2017-12 being the most recent example from my memory: https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2018-October/032593.html

Indeed.  It’s worth remembering that “remand” means exactly that - the Board sent it back to the ARIN AC for some reason - further work, clarification, etc. – with the goal of making sure that ARIN moves ahead on solid policy recommendations.  It is not a rejection of recommended policy from the ARIN AC (I actually cannot recall the Board ever rejecting an ARIN AC policy recommendation - I don’t think it’s ever happened but will check archives shortly to be certain.)

For example, the circumstances of ARIN-2017-12 wasn’t the Board “rejecting” policy, but rather remanding it while noting that there was different possible implementations of the policy goal with significantly different costs to the organization and different impacts to the community.   In the end the ARIN AC revised the policy for clarity and ended up with a better policy that was promptly adopted.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO