[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

Mike Burns mike at iptrading.com
Tue Sep 7 13:46:36 EDT 2021

>From my perspective as a bidder against Microsoft in that Nortel auction, ARIN transfer policies were completely ignored until the auction winner was announced. The proposed sale agreements we were using in our bidding disregarded any transfer policies at all. You may remember these were all legacy blocks, none of which were even registered to Nortel. The judge had decided these were transferrable assets belonging to the bankrupt entity, and could be sold. Our assumption was that the judge would order the blocks to be registered to the winner, but alas we never got to test that assumption as losing bidders. Microsoft passed a needs test and ARIN declared the transfer policy-compliant.

It's true that it was the first true public IPv4 sale, and was seminal in that regard.

It's a disingenuous to say that ARIN transfer policy drove the market, I think that's cart-before-the-horse revisionism. If anything, even after the transfer ARIN had to be dragged into a modern transfer policy and significant RSA changes.

Regards,
Mike