[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Sep 7 12:27:08 EDT 2021

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 4:51 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2021, at 4:39 AM, arin-ppml <arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
>> It is perfectly within ANY RIR’s policy if I distribute addresses to customers that are connected to me only via a GRE tunnel or other VPN. The only infrastructure required to support this would be a cloud-based VM that wouldn’t even need to be on my hardware. With that very thin fig leaf, I’ve met the test of connectivity that is required by some RIRs and I’m technically providing sufficient transit to meet the qualifications for address space.
>
> Correct, but making the representation that you need to have number resources issued to provide VPN services when the actual intent is simply leasing would be a fraudulent representation.

Hi John,

This smells a bit like equivocation. If they're offering a VPN service
then they're not just leasing addresses hence ARIN is still empowered
to go after address lessors. I think Owen's point (and my own in a
prior message) is that anyone whose -purpose- is to lease addresses
can -construct- a negligible-cost, ARIN-compliant way to do so.

So sure, you can bust the first handful who skip that step before the
rest get wise. Then what?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--