[arin-ppml] Change of Use and ARIN (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Sep 4 08:38:19 EDT 2021

On 3 Sep 2021, at 11:21 PM, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:
>> John Curran wrote :
>> 3.  Courts (probate, bankruptcy, civil,...) may order disposition of such assets – ARIN
>> routinely gets involved in such matters, and explains to the parties & courts the various
>> requirements necessary for transfer in compliance with our policies.
>
> Indeed. For historical purposes, was this set in motion by the Nortel / Microsoft thing in 2011 and made official by the court order on April 6, 2011 ?
> I have no prior references. 10 years of IP market, how time passes.

Michel -

Not to quibble, but this was actually set in motion by the ARIN Board, AC, and community with the adoption in 2009 of a specified transfer policy for the ARIN region.  Prior to that time, such an attempt to the registration of a entry in ARIN's database in a manner outside of policy would have been opposed in court (as it would otherwise deny this community the ability to establish policies for the administration of number resources in region.)

i.e. it was the presence of a transfer policy that enabled forward progress in the region, as absence of such would have led to a rather indeterminate state given the rapidly growing expectations in this regard.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO