[arin-ppml] AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Aug 29 15:12:16 EDT 2021

On 28 Aug 2021, at 2:53 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> Although I have, at present, a number of outstanding disagreements with
> Owen DeLong on a range of issues, I would just like to echo what seems
> to be his sentiment, i.e. that it would be helpful if there existed something
> like an arin-discuss@ or arin-talk@ mailing list where topics of relevance
> to ARIN but not clearly associated with any specific pending policy proposal
> could be more freely discussed without violating the list charter.
>
> It is my hope that any already planned technical work in this direction may
> be completed expeditiously.

Understood.    I note that the prior arin-discuss list was only open to ARIN members - do you have a particularly viewpoint on its replacement?

> As Owen noted, other regions do operate exactly such generalized discussion
> lists.

Acknowledged - ARIN has such a generalized discussion list as well until very recently, but many years of autosubscribed people in its earliest days resulted in a less-than-usable forum for conducting actual discussion.  We only recently eliminated it, but apparently the arin-discuss list – a list that had almost no traffic in recent years – is missed already - that’s almost touching.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO