[arin-ppml] Discussions of announcements to ppml (was: Re: AFRINIC And The Stability Of The Internet Number Registry System)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Aug 27 22:06:03 EDT 2021

On 27 Aug 2021, at 6:59 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com<mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:

Since you have, in the past, repeatedly admonished people, myself included, that ppml is for discussion of matters relating to ARIN policy, is this a general expansion of the list charter going forward, or merely an exception you’re making for this topic?

Owen -

As noted when arin-discuss was closed <https://www.arin.net/announcements/20210804/> –

ARIN does have a variety of mailing lists that provide valuable forums for community input and were established on a strictly opt-in basis. These include the Public Policy Mailing List (arin-ppml) for policy; Technical Discussions mailing list (arin-tech-discuss) for providing technical feedback to ARIN or seeking information from others in the community who are working with technical aspects of ARIN’s services; and the Consultation mailing list (arin-consult) that is used to solicit input from the community on variety of consultations and suggestions including changes to ARIN processes and services, fees, and feedback on suggestions from the community. These mailing lists are open for all to use in accordance with ARIN’s Mailing List AUP and Standards of Behavior.

Considering the very infrequent and ineffective use of arin-discuss and the abundance of other functional lists for community engagement, the arin-discuss mailing list has been retired.

I will observe that we've actually have had relatively light-handed administration of arin-ppml; i.e. in perusing the archives, I can find many discussions of topics not strictly policy-related - e.g. ARIN’s RSA, services, fee changes, route hijacking, legacy resources, number resource abuse, etc., etc.  (The vast majority of warnings issued for ARIN mailing list AUP violations have been for not be respectful of other community participants.)

We’re evaluating options for community discussion that won’t suffer from the foibles of our past arin-discuss mailing list, but to the extent that there is an announcement posted to ppml in the meantime, it is reasonable to assume that one may engage in discussion of the announcement on the mailing list.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO