[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-21: Reserved Pool Replenishment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 11:46:40 EST 2020

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 4:25 PM David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>>> [snip]
>>>
>> [ clip ]

> The initial infra policies weren’t intended to be permanent. They were
>> intended to be a crutch for growth occurring at a higher rate at that time.
>> IXP and TLD growth in the US has slowed compared to when the policy was
>> enacted. Everyone that needed benefit should have already gotten it.
>>
>> It would seem to make sense to clean up these pools all considered.
>>

> I'll agree that the intended longevity of the 4.4 pool was discussed at
> the time of its creation or at least when it was expanded and it was
> intended as a relatively short-term crutch for the IXP, TLDs and other
> critical infrastructure IPv4 micro allocation growth.  Personally, I
> wouldn't be opposed to right-sizing the 4.4 pool, with priority on other
> returned resources over the waiting list for replenishing this pool.
>
> Maybe right-size it down to a 5 or 6 year supply, based on the last 5 or 6
> years of allocations, with the excess going to the waiting list

Let's assume the pool size is a /15 and use an average rate of allocation
IXP+CI of 18 /24 per year.

YEAR  0 - YEAR 5 = 105 /24's (generous as I measured beginning of period to
end of period)

                                           *  BOP                  EOP*
YR 0 131,072 131,054
YR 1 131,054 131,037
YR 2 131,037 131,019
YR 3 131,019 131,002
YR 4 131,002 130,984
YR 5 130,984 130,967
YR 6 130,967 130,949
YR 7 130,949 130,931
YR 8 130,931 130,914
YR 9 130,914 130,896
YR 10 130,896 130,879
YR 11 130,879 130,861
YR 12 130,861 130,844
YR 13 130,844 130,826
YR 14 130,826 130,808

If we were going to bracket at five years we'd need a total of 88 /24's.
Which doesn't include returns. Although there probably aren't any. See
distraction below.

IIRC correctly the motivation on the CI pool was a pending flood of new
gTLD's. It was the period where the root was busted wide open for the wild
west of TLD's e,g. ".cakeisgood". Which happened on paper (and cash) but
didn't materialize numbers wise. It was a good insurance policy. Which
seems less needed now. Same for IXPs.

// unrelated distraction //

Micro allocation for 206.51.35.0

Discovered open port 1723/tcp on 206.51.35.6

Discovered open port 1723/tcp on 206.51.35.25

Discovered open port 1723/tcp on 206.51.35.33

Discovered open port 1723/tcp on 206.51.35.7

Hm. Something is not right there. What could it be?

https://pastebin.com/c0QYF5QZ

Cheers,

-M<

A little history; ARIN-2012-6 made an initial reservation of a /16 and