[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2020-3: IPv6 Nano-allocations

John Santos john at egh.com
Sun Apr 19 16:21:45 EDT 2020

On 4/19/2020 3:08 PM, David Farmer wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM John Santos <john at egh.com
> <mailto:john at egh.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is there any way to ensure that an ISP requesting a /40 has fewer than 250
>     customers, so they can assign each a /48 in order to be eligible for the
>     smallest allocation at commensurate cost with a /24 of IPv4?
>
> I don't think there is anything ARIN can reasonably do to require that
> 3X-Small ISPs have fewer than 250 customers. However, I'll note that even
> 3X-Small ISPs probably wants to grow their business, eventually moving them
> into the 2X-Small ISP category. Once they have something like 150 to 200
> customers they should be able to justify an additional /24 moving them into
> the 2X-Small ISP category.*Further, even for an ISP with 150 to 200 customers
> the additional $250 in ARIN fees annually shouldn't be a significant roadblock
> to their growth. *So, I think the natural incentives for the growth of
> their business will be sufficient to regulate this issue, and I don't think
> we need to micromanage this issue through policy.

If the bolded statement is true, why did 26 out of 30 3X-Small ISPs elect not to
double their fees?  I posit they all have significantly less than 150 to 200
customers to spread the cost over, and their customers are extremely
cost-sensitive.  If they have, say, 150 customers on  average, the increased
cost would be less than 14 cents per month.  If they only have 10 customers,
then the annual ARIN fees for each customer would double from $25 to $50.

It would be useful to hear from some of these 26 nano-ISPs about what their
customer base is and why they are so cost-sensitive.  I suspect most of us
techies are completely oblivious to the real-world concerns of these customers
and that they aren't just being incredible cheapskates.  As in "$25, that won't
even pay for a decent meal" vs. "$25, I could feed my family for a week!"

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.