[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2020-3: IPv6 Nano-allocations

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sun Apr 19 15:08:21 EDT 2020

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 12:28 PM John Santos <john at egh.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to ensure that an ISP requesting a /40 has fewer than 250
> customers, so they can assign each a /48 in order to be eligible for the
> smallest allocation at commensurate cost with a /24 of IPv4?

I don't think there is anything ARIN can reasonably do to require that
3X-Small ISPs have fewer than 250 customers. However, I'll note that even
3X-Small ISPs probably wants to grow their business, eventually moving them
into the 2X-Small ISP category. Once they have something like 150 to 200
customers they should be able to justify an additional /24 moving them into
the 2X-Small ISP category. Further, even for an ISP with 150 to 200
customers the additional $250 in ARIN fees annually shouldn't be a
significant roadblock to their growth. So, I think the natural incentives
for the growth of their business will be sufficient to regulate this issue,
and I don't think we need to micromanage this issue through policy.

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952