[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Sep 27 16:37:22 EDT 2019

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 1:41 PM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:

> Businesses have a need to lease IPv4 space for limited periods of time,
> as evidenced by a robust (technically prohibited) subleasing market. The
> lack of legitimization of the subleasing market hinders innovation,
> research, reporting, and the development of rules/industry best
> practices to ensure identifiability and contactability.

Devil's advocate: *should* the subleasing market be marginalized and
illegitimate? What is it about the behavior of organizations leasing IP
addresses absent network service which is not basically doing ARIN's job
but for more money and with less oversight?

Serious question; not meant to be rhetorical. I want to hear what sort of
address leasing independent of connectivity is not the job ARIN is tasked
with.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--