[arin-ppml] [Ext] [FEEDBACK] Anyone else notice that the base whois are not getting maintained well lately?

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Tue Oct 22 20:49:17 EDT 2019

Okay, another case of me rushing emails, and not being clear enough.

First of all, the 'whois' protocol, in spite of all the talk of RDAP, is
still a highly used protocol worldwide.  But for the most part, this was
designed before IP run out and the creation of so many cases of
inter-RIR transfers.

Traditionally, whois clients used static lists of 'guesses' for which
ranges should be looked up via which RIR, so people didn't have to try
all of them via the -h option.

Eg... https://github.com/rfc1036/whois/blob/next/ip_del_list

There should be some common and easy way that 'whois' clients can access
an up to date listing of what ranges are controlled by which RIR's.

Eg the previously mentioned 'whois 103.60.14.185' defaults to assuming
it is still controlled by APNIC, when in reality this was transferred to
ARIN.  Or some of the /16's that haved been moved inter RIR.

Just a suggestion, a central place where RIR's can register inter RIR
transfers, so that 'whois' clients 'hints' files can easily be updated.

	-- Michael --

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."