[arin-ppml] [FEEDBACK] Anyone else notice that the base whois are not getting maintained well lately?

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Mon Oct 21 19:48:38 EDT 2019

 Hi Michael,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 1:35 AM Michael Peddemors
<michael at linuxmagic.com> wrote:

> whois 103.60.14.185
> % [whois.apnic.net]
> % Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html
>
> % Information related to '103.60.12.0 - 103.60.15.255'
>
> % Abuse contact for '103.60.12.0 - 103.60.15.255' is 'no-email at apnic.net'
>
> inetnum:        103.60.12.0 - 103.60.15.255
> netname:        STUB-103-60-12SLASH22
> descr:          Transferred to the ARIN region on 2017-10-30T23:27:52Z.
> country:        ZZ
> admin-c:        STUB-AP
> tech-c:         STUB-AP
> status:         ALLOCATED PORTABLE
> mnt-by:         APNIC-STUB
> mnt-irt:        IRT-STUB-AP
> last-modified:  2019-09-30T00:15:26Z
> source:         APNIC
>
> You would think that if this has been transferred to ARIN back in 2017,
> that the standard 'whois' commands would by now return more recent
> information.

There isn't really a 'standard' whois implementation. Some clients (by
default) connect to less optimal whois servers than they ought to do.
This (generally) is an issue to up with the manufacturer of your
operating system or whois client vendor.

There is one interesting whois server, that generally is very helpful
to refer to the right place, and that is 'whois.lacnic.net'. Try the
following on your system:

$ whois -h whois.lacnic.net 103.60.14.185

If you share with me (offlist) what operating system & whois client
you use, perhaps we can investigate whether improvements are possible.

The final answer is that WHOIS should fully be replaced with RDAP.
https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG72/1601/20180220_Griswold_Death_To_Whois_v1.pdf
or video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7RZFb6oJ0

Kind regards,

Job