[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-18: LIR/ISP Re-Assignment to Non-Connected Networks

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Oct 1 15:33:17 EDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 1, 2019 at 1:47 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> **unused space** - that's the term to look at.
> While there are plenty of organizations in the waiting list patiently
> waiting to get addresses they are able to justify there are others with
> unused space just willing to speculate them and rent totally bypassing the
> waiting list.
> Perhaps the community at some point may reach consensus on a specific
> policy to revoke these unused space from these organizations and put them
> back into the waiting list. It would certainly cost much less than having
> to pay for leases. No courts in the world where a contract is respected
> would object to such a policy.

Address reclamation is non-starter it is never going to happen, get over
it. We went with a market so we didn't have to have the fight of
reclamation, you may not like the market, but it is a far better choice
than reclamation.

A market motivates and maybe even rewards people to increase the use of
unused or under-used address space. Reclamation motivates people to fight
the increased use of address space by fighting the reclamation. Hostile or
forced reclamation of address space will cost far more than a market ever
will. And would likely be much more unfair than the market.

Why is reclamation unfair, because those with the financial resources to
fight it, will fight it, and those without financial resources won't. It's
unfair because it won't be about use of address space it will be about who
has the financial resources to fight reclamation.

Furthermore, the huge effort reclamation would take gets us no closer to
IPv6, in fact if anything it moves us away from IPv6. At least with the
market as the cost of IPv4 goes up the motivation to do IPv6 does also.

Please stop arguing for reclamation, it is not a viable alternative.

Thanks.
David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952