[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-19: Require IPv6 Before Receiving Section 8 IPv4 Transfers

John Santos john at egh.com
Wed Nov 6 18:13:47 EST 2019

On 11/6/2019 03:09 PM, scott wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> Actually, technically, Windows NT would meet the requirement in this
>> proposal. It just couldn’t resolve DNS over IPv6.
>
> I remember patching complete, functional v6 support into my 2.4.18 linux
> kernels, but it looks like the first v6 code appeared in 2.1.8, circa 1996:
> https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/ch02s02.html
>
> Looks like OpenVMS has has support since '03 or so, which is mostly
> concurrent with support in the mainline Linux kernel.
>
> Scott

I installed IPv6 on our OpenVMS systems in 2011 (or maybe earlier, 2011
is when I got our IPv6 block through SixXs and the VMS systems were the
first ones I configured for IPv6.)

Unfortunately, neither of our ISPs has IPv6 available in our area yet,
though they both claim to be rolling it out.  (One of them has been
making that claim for 8 years!)

I suppose that would qualify us for the "not available yet" exception,
if we needed more IPv4, which we really don't.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.