[arin-ppml] IP leasing policy

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Wed May 29 21:48:23 EDT 2019

Hello Bill and folks.

This doesn't need to be complicated. There is plenty of legitimate ways
to assign IP space to end-users and customers that are perfectly valid
and nobody is disputing it.
The scenario that matters to us is when a ASN leases its own IP space to
be announced by another given this last one has the ability and should
get them directly from the RIR. I can't see any scenario that justifies
that other than go around the system and pass in front of others paying
for it. An ASN received IP space to assign to other scenarios different
from this, not to lease to someone other ASN announce pretending the
first one is a RIR.

When an ISP assigns IP to end-users in a broadband connection, a hosted
server, a P2P circuit even to bring a BGP session up or even to provide
a Out-of-Band connectivity to another ISP it is doing no more than what
is meant to be done with the IPs the RIR has assigned to him. For me is
very clear the difference between all these scenarios (and others) and
the one mentioned above.

Regards
Fernando