[arin-ppml] Of interest?

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat May 18 17:03:55 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 7:17 AM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On 17 May 2019, at 3:05 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
[snip]>
> This entity, while registered in the state of Delaware, was not and is not
> registered to do business IN THE STATE OF OHIO:
[snip]
I doubt checking foreign registrations would have stopped this:
fraudsters are evidently willing to go through much greater efforts,
because of the amount of dollars at stake  -- there is no known
5 minute or less online verification possible that will absolutely
prevent such fraud.

You would need a verification capable of defeating the higher-effort
tactics used by the fraudsters  (Such as verifying the notary's local
registration and having every notarization confirmed against the notary's
official log).
What more can you do;  require that ARIN choose and hire the notaries
to ensure the notary is not secretly affiliated with the applicant?
Require that each individual officer fly  out to an ARIN office in order to to
verify and have ARIN forensically analyze their government ID to
make every attestation?

It makes sense that ARIN would always check just registration in the
entity's state of formation (Delaware),  and looking at any other state's data
is more like an investigation of their actual operation,
for example...  just like checking the Zipcode of their mailing address,
and looking for City records of a business permit ---  the absence of
a permit or registration for the City or State of the mailing or physical
address does not in itself imply the entity is fictional:  they may simply
not be required to have that registration or permit there,  b/c
they don't necessarily transact any regular business at the listed address.

Legitimate entities that do little business in a certain state
might have neglected its registration, even if
their HQ is there.

Each state has their own separate requirements for
foreign qualification,  so  while anyone can easily check
the registrations:  it is  more involved to determine if the
registration is required.

--
-JH