[arin-ppml] Of interest?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Fri May 17 03:05:18 EDT 2019

In message <AA40F873-924F-4A3A-9B50-980069726BCA at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>On 16 May 2019, at 3:18 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>> That was my point.  Thse sock puppet companies that were registered
>> as part of this overall Micfo fraud were *not* even bloody registered
>> in the states they claimed to be headquartered in, either now or,
>> EVEN AT THE TIME WHEN ARIN WAS ISSUING THEM RESOURCES.
>>
>> So, this was and is quite clearly and unambiguously an abject failure
>> of ARIN's vetting process, and a glaring one at that.  I man this
>> is really a no-brainer... just check to see if a corporate entity
>> that claims to be in state X really exists, legally in state X.
>>
>> This isn't rocket surgery, and if ARIN isn't doing this simple check
>> on a routine basis, then it needs to start doing so.  The failure
>> to do this simple check is as inexcusable as it is inexplicable.
>
>Ronald
>
>ARIN does check the state registrations of requesting organizations and
>these entities were registered.

C'mon John, we are both too old to be playing at word games.

This entity, while registered in the state of Delaware, was not and is not
registered to do business IN THE STATE OF OHIO:

ASNumber:       20360
ASName:         OPPOBOX
ASHandle:       AS20360
RegDate:        2014-01-28
Updated:        2019-05-09
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/autnum/20360

OrgName:        OppoBox LLC
OrgId:          OPPOB
Address:        100 E. Campus View Blvd, Suite 250
City:           Columbus
StateProv:      OH
PostalCode:     43235
Country:        US
RegDate:        2013-11-28
Updated:        2018-10-30
Ref:            https://rdap.arin.net/registry/entity/OPPOB

It takes all of 5 seconds for anyone to verify this fact via the Ohio
Secretary of State's web site.

Furthermore, a check for this same entity on the opencorporates web site...
which does an excellent job of keeping records of both current and also
historical corporate registrations... shows that the above entity was *never*
registered in the State of Ohio.

Lastly, I just checked also the historical ARIN WHOIS records for the
above ASN, and they show that even from day one, this thing was always and
only claiming to be located in Ohio.

So, how did your crack team of investigators miss this glaring anomaly?

And if they had caught it, and likewise caught all of the other bits of
obvious bogosity that were part of this whole massive fraud, then wouldn't
that have saved you, Steve Ryan, the courts, federal law enforcement and a
federal Grand Jury one whole hell of a lot of time and bother?

I say again, if some new non-natural-person applicant organization comes
to you, purporting to be headquartered in state X, it would seem to be
more than a little bit reasonable to have your staff check and make sure
that the entity in question really exists, legally speaking, in state X.

This is neither onerous nor rocket science.

Regards,
rfg