[arin-ppml] Of interest?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Thu May 16 00:30:48 EDT 2019

In message <CAP-guGU5rAHGiR=TWRsHnvhGBdbDjWaHD3yhvDeeuC5mMazj0A at mail.gmail.com>
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>wrote:

>On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 1:18 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
>wrote:
>
>> Funny thing... not a single one of them seems to actually be registered with
>> any of the relevant state authorities to do business in their alleged home
>> states.
>>
>> So, is it just me, or is this not a red flag to anybody else?
>

>It's just you. It's pretty routine to incorporate in a different state than
>where you get your mail and operate in a still different set of states
>under a business name different enough to defy easy electronic matching.

No no no.  This is just 100% bovine excrement.  That is *not* common, except
among tax cheats.

You're supposesd to formally register to do business in each and every
state where you have a physical nexus, even if it is only a rented mailbox.

Those are the rules.  And they aren't, like, ambiguous or anything.  If you
think otherwise, then please cite chapter and verse of *any* state law
that says, in effect "It's OK.  We're happy to allow you to do business
with... and to possibly defraud... the people of this state, all while
pretending to be located here, even without registering your business here."

There are exactly -zero- such states that allow these kinds of shenannigans.

>Have fun finding the state registration for AS11875.

That's different.  That ASN is registered to a "natural person"... *not*
an incorporated legal (non-person) entity.

Both you and the Supreme Court may have some trouble with this, conceptually,
but there actually *are* still one hell of a lot of differences... both
physical and legal... between natural persons and incorporated legal entities.

As a natural person, you and your ASN have a right to move about, as you
wish, from state to state within these United States.  An incorporated
business also has the right to move about from state to state, but every
time it elects to plop it's ass down, rent an office, or even a mailbox,
in any particular state it needs to register with that state in order to
do so... *if* it wishes to conduct *any* business from that location.

If you don't believe me, ask Amazon.  Every state where they have a
physical footprint is one where they are already legally incorporated.

State officials are, in general, fairly persnickety about enforcing this
simple rule because, you know, taxes.  They want their cut.

Regards,
rfg