[arin-ppml] Micfo

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 15 10:28:32 EDT 2019

On 15 May 2019, at 2:53 AM, Michael Williams <michael.williams at glexia.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I’m confused... how is ARIN *not* a law enforcement body? I’ve always been told to believe ARIN enforces the rules of the internet.

Michael -

	ARIN doesn’t enforce “rules of the internet” – we enforce Internet number registry policy; i.e. a much smaller matter which simply relates to the registry of unique numbers that help make the Internet run.

	We fulfill our mission that same way nearly every other organization does – by entering into contracts and enforcing those contracts via arbitration/litigation.

	Law enforcement is a different matter: it’s about enforcing the laws that are adopted by government, and therefore apply to all folks without any need for a contract or consent.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO