[arin-ppml] Of interest?

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue May 14 23:04:33 EDT 2019

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 22:52 Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 9:30 PM Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
> wrote:
>

>> As I understand it, this guy has now been ordered, by a judge, to give
>> back everything he stole.... except of course for the stuff that he
>> can't give back, because he already fenced it to overseas buyers and
>> thus, THAT stuff apparently... and for reasons that I personally am
>> none too clear on... cannot be retrieved.  Is that approximately a
>>

> Perhaps "should not be retrieved"  --  if some recipients of space were
> legitimate companies with legitimately justifiable IP number needs in the
> amount received; would be eligible for that amount of allocation under
> the NRPM;  and even with thorough due-diligence of their own could
> not have known/suspected the transfer they were procuring would
> come from a fraudulently-secured allocation...
>
> By all means I hope ARIN pursue fraudsters and take back IP space
> and disgorge them of any revenues to keep good stewardship of the
> IP space,  but try to minimize the damage to innocent operators....

ARIN isn’t a law enforcement agency. John has said as much. And I’m not
sure ARIN has a right (or duty) to pursue the income generated from the
activity. It’s likely that we’ll hear more about this in the future.
Whether its a class action by disenfranchised parties or a criminal action
by government authorities, we’ll see. At least ARIN’s role from a contract
perspective seems closed for now. I took a look at this company earlier
this evening. They may have money. That means they may have problems.

ARIN enforced their agreement. Good work. Let’s not get too carried away
here.

I’m making popcorn.

Best,

-M<