[arin-ppml] Of interest?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Tue May 14 20:04:06 EDT 2019

In message <CAP-guGUrE2bJD7hPuSAkxbN33hha3aJ0nvF-cakYvwLhYihPzw at mail.gmail.com>,
William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 1:58 PM Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Some of the resources sought and fraudulently obtained had been
>> transferred to bona-fide purchasers out of the ARIN region."
>>
>> Kind of makes you wonder...   Could the profits from "Bona-fide
>> purchasers outside
>> of ARIN region" by the fraudsters  have exceeded what they were ordered to
>> pay?
>>

>If we had the numbers it would be easy enough to calculate. There were
>735,000 addresses involved. Roughly 20,000 of them (~3%) needed to be
>transferred at $18 each to break even on the $350,000 ordered payment.

Nobody has to guess the numbers because ARIN General Counsel Stephen M.
Ryan is already on record, in the transcript of the TRO hearing, as
having provided a number.

The number... the value of what these crooks already got away with and
what they already managed to "fence" to offshore buyers (in Saudi Arabia
and China)... is, according to Ryan, "at least a $10 million fraud".  (See
page 11 of TRO hearing transcript.)

>How many did ARIN decide not to reclaim because the recipients did not appear
>to be part of the fraud?

Answer:  This many:

https://bgp.he.net/AS53889#_prefixes

Most of that space is allocated directly to Micfo.

Regards,
rfg