[arin-ppml] prop266 - re-framing the discussion

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri May 3 17:59:55 EDT 2019

>> Michel Py wrote :
>> ARIN should not create a double standard that penalizes hijacking and tolerates squatting.

> Carlos Friaças wrote :

> I agree. However i'm not completely sure we'll be able to solve everything with just one proposal.

You can't ask to do something now about hijacking and put squatting under the rug to be dealt with later.
That would be a double standard. It is not acceptable.

I suggest you submit a new proposal that defines both hijacking and squatting, and what you suggest ARIN should do.

> I fail to see "obligations on recipients". The only obligation
> needed is NOT announcing other parties' numbering resources.

I totally disagree. Announcing other parties' numbering resources is not the only improper use.
Using other parties' numbering resources also is improper.
The allocation of numbering resources is so they remain unique. Regardless you announce the resource or not, using it is bad.

You are asking ARIN to do something about hijacking and to tolerate squatting.
Your own words :

> Carlos Friaças wrote :
> As long as you don't announce it to other networks i don't see an issue.

This is not acceptable.

Michel.