[arin-ppml] prop266 - re-framing the discussion

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Thu May 2 10:18:29 EDT 2019

Instead of focusing on whether the current proposal is or isn’t in scope, I suggest we re-cast the discussion as follows:

  1.  So far, we have unanimous community agreement that BGP hijacking is bad.
  2.  So far, we have broad agreement that “something ought to be done” about BGP hijacking, although detailed opinions vary significantly.
  3.  So what (else) can ARIN do about it?  (Caveat: the answer “nothing” is unacceptable to a significant proportion of PPML participants.)

My suggested direction to the AC and/or the board would therefore be:  Find something ARIN can do to help combat the problem (more effectively).  If this requires expanding the scope of ARIN’s operations or policies, bring that back to the membership (possibly via PPML?) with the accompanying financial & legal analysis, as usual.

Now the question becomes: what is the most appropriate mechanism, within ARIN’s existing policies, to bring a request like that to the AC and/or Board?  It seems clear to me that the petition already underway here is not meeting, and will not meet, the needs of the community very well.

-Adam

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[merlin-email-logo]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>