[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Thu May 2 09:35:42 EDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 7:14 PM Ronald F. Guilmette
<rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> Where I am and where you are, there is really only one single
> entity that has complete responsiblity for both, and it's called the State
> of California government.  It isn't always pretty, and there are abudant

How about....  The internet is private property, with agreed upon
co-ordination at the boundaries of property, and the roads inside
California are not?     What about at the border of California, where a
street or highway crosses into another state;  does California draw the
lines and issue tickets into the neighboring state;    What if the center line
doesn't match up on the part of the road on opposite sides of the border?

The roads in California are public infrastructure funded totally by government.
So the government does everything related to their property: makes sense.
The government does not draw lines on nor patrol and determine traffic rules for
private driveways, private streets, private toll roads, private highways, etc.
Each property owner has choices to make.

Most networks: all the Tier1 providers, essentially,  and all their routers and
communication links,  however,  are private property.
The owner of EACH network handles all functions for their property --
both drawing
the lines and enforcing all lines;   "Your network, your rules;  My
network, my rules.".

There is no role, for example,  for a government or anyone else to
come tell ATT,
Verizon, Level3, etc, what they are and are not allowed to put or have
in their routing tables, and furthermore, which internet standards
they have to support,
(outside the scope of contracts they may have for services provided by
their network).

The *Operators* who connect to each other agree with each other to co-ordinate
the numbering of their IP networks ---  they only do this because THEY
want End to
End connectivity between certain networks they operate,  and the
IP standard requires unique numbers,  so most IP networks need to be designed
with an idea that they are uniquely co-ordinated so they COULD connect togethe.

ARIN and other RIRs have the specific purpose of maintaining a *REGISTRY*
of unique IP numbers and contacts to  Assist  operators in designing networks
for which they can co-ordinate internet connectivity  ----  That is it.

Global connectivity is not necessarily required to have
a need for unique assignments.  ARIN NRPM 4.3.5  recognizes that.
Some operators may have networks with intended partial connectivity
(E.G.  May be a globally unique IP range that connects to some
other global networks  and some other set of networks which are
part of a 'private IP island' that use a different system for assigning
IP numbers  even if those IP numbers are assigned by RIRs to
something else in the global network).

Once the number is assigned,   its just like a manufacturer receiving a range
of MAC addresses to burn on their PROM,   or  NANPA  assigning blocks of
phone numbers to a carrier.

The registry of OUI numbers doesn't have a legitimate
say in the hardware specifications of ethernet cards being
manufactured.

NANPA doesn't have the ability to take back phone numbers, b/c
too many of a phone company's customers are placing annoying
telemarketing calls to other networks.

ARIN doesn't have a legitimate say to decide that _ALL_
a network operator's networks must use only number
assignments from ARIN,  etc.

A provider that runs IP networks can also run non-IP networks, Etc.

What is "BGP Hijacking"   Really?

Its when Network Operators who have agreed to Interconnect and
Co-Ordinate the numbering of their networks have failed to
properly ensure that all the networks they are interconnecting
are properly co-ordinated  up to the standards required by the
private contracts between the network providers.

If their agreements say something different,  then there may be
some "private co-ordination",  Or    "Networks for which the
interconnecting providers agree to ignore the RIR system, and
utilize a unique private routing policy"

ARIN Not only has no ability to enforce these agreements;
not being a court of law; the Interconnection agreements
are private,  and not really the business of a number registry.

[...]
--
-JH