[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Carlos Friaças cfriacas at fccn.pt
Thu May 2 02:30:17 EDT 2019

Hi Joe, All,

On Wed, 1 May 2019, Joe Provo wrote:

(...)
> "Distribution function" is indeed merely agreeing that the data
> recorded in the registry is accurate. There's no dibursement of
> anything.

Allow me to disagree. People/orgs don't have address space. They go to the
RIR. They get address space. For me, this means the RIR is distributing
address space to whoever knocks on their door and is elegible to receice
resources.

People that have no land are not able to knock at a land registry's door
and simply ask for some.

> When we bought our house and land, the registry of
> deeds was similar only involved in verifying that the transfer
> from the previous holders to us was a valid contract within the
> scope of its operations (the state in which we live).

That's a property registry. That is not a numbering resources registry. As
Fernando already wrote, numbering resources are not property -- or is it
property within ARIN?

Anyway, being property or not, the registry distributes numbering
resources (you can argue v4 is not there anymore, but v6 and ASNs are
still there).

> When a
> neighbor was doing a construction project and we had to go block
> their heavy equipment, the registrar of deeds sure didn't come
> and settle the dispute. We went down, got the county map and
> they agreed. if they hadn't, law enforcement and courts would
> have been the next step.

You are perhaps trying to divert from the issue.

You and your neighbor are not members of the same "registrar of deeds".
When a RIR member disrespects what the RIR has previously awarded to
another member, it is breaking the system. And the RIR should be able to
do something about that.

> This, like all Internet analogies, is poor; my thrust is that rfg's
> is worse. To parallel ARIN with a transportation agency's "line
> drawing" and officials embued with law enforcement is wildly off
> track.

While we would be happy to have a simple rule in place, the proposal is
somehow forced to design a process (or at least its general lines) to
avoid at all cost the involvement of the RIR staff. This is why any
evaluation needs to be driven from the community, not the RIR staff -- the
keyword here should be self-regulation.

I do personally think RFG's analogy is way better than yours.

Regards,
Carlos

ps: thanks for the other URLs.