[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Mar 2 19:44:06 EST 2019

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.1903021726590.3734 at localhost.localdomain>,
"hostmaster at uneedus.com" <hostmaster at uneedus.com> wrote:

>I have suggested elimination of the Wait List, and sending all returns to
>the IPv6 Deployment block, but I have seen noone that agrees with me.

I do. +1

>I also suggested that directed transfers be a one shot deal, which would
>also limit the options of the bad actors we speak of since they could
>obtain space but cannot resell it.  Again, no one seems to agree with this
>suggestion.

I do. +1

>I have no desire to "Save" IPv4...

Well, in that case...

Here's yet another off-the-wall idea.

Let's arrange a gigantic one-time lottery.  The prize will be ALL remaining
ARIN IPv4 space.  Winner take all.  Tickets will be sold for $1 USD apeice.

This could be bigger than PowerBall!

Proceeds could be be used as an initial endowment to create a foundation
dedicated to research on the use and maintenance of the Internet for the
public good and in the public interest.

Or, of course, IP address could be... as already suggested... auctioned
off in the same way that the FCC auctions off spectrum.

IP addresses *are* the "spectrum" of the Internet, after all.

Regards,
rfg