[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Mar 2 17:55:06 EST 2019

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.1903021604370.3734 at localhost.localdomain>,
hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:

>Many hosting and access providers like to give each paying customer their
>own IPv4 address, since it simplifies DMCA compliance.

No, it doesn't.

If I have a web server that's configured to serve up pages for 1,000
different web sites, and I get a DMCA complaint about one in particular,
I can disable that one alone.

Is this not self-evident?

>Otherwise the
>hosting provider needs to get into the middle of keeping logs for every
>customer.

No, you don't.

I frankly don't know what you are going on about.  How do logs even enter
into this?

If a DMCA complaint comes in, you go and look at the (alleged) offending
content.  If it appears that it may be a DMCA action, then you action
either that page or the whole web site, as may suit you.

How do logs even enter into this?

They are demonstratably irrelevant.

>As for NAT and even web hosting, the 64k port limitation is also an issue
>as pointed out by others.

No, it isn't.  A web server needs one port (80).  A mail server needs one
port (25).  A name server needs one port (53).  A /24 block provides nearly
seventeen *million* IPv4 ports for outbound _client_ use, most or all of
which should actually be migrated over to IPv6 anyway.

Regards,
rfg