[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Sat Mar 2 16:11:56 EST 2019

> I mean what do people even need lots of IPv4 for anymore anyway?  A single
> web server with a single IPv4 address can easily support tens of thousands
> of distinct and unique web sites.  A single mail server on a single IPv4
> address can likewise support mail services for tens of thousands of
> recipient and sender domain names.  A single name server on a single IPv4
> address can also provide DNS service for tens of thusands of domain names.

You aren’t taking into account limitations of IPv4 64k ports and reuse timers. This protocol was created in the 1970s, and port reuse has been sped up but cannot be solved.

> For anyone needing to support big batches of end-luser clients, there is IPv6.

While I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment, there are shocking amounts of US-based enterprises where IPv6 is still not available. This means that anyone offering services to the enterprise requires IPv4.

--
Jo Rhett