[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sat Mar 2 15:45:41 EST 2019

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.1903021333190.3734 at localhost.localdomain>,
hostmaster at uneedus.com wrote:

>Our choices with this Draft Policy:
>
>1) Reject it because it does not completely eliminate the abuse, and allow
>the current policy (with ALL its abuse) to continue.
>
>or
>
>2) Adopt the policy even though not perfect at eliminating ALL the abuse,
>but does cut back much of it.

Please allow me to note that there is also a third option:

3) Adopt the policy, but select some different default allocation size,
other than /22.

Personally, I think that a /22 is the Wrong Way To Go and it would be better
to change that to a single /24.

I mean what do people even need lots of IPv4 for anymore anyway?  A single
web server with a single IPv4 address can easily support tens of thousands
of distinct and unique web sites.  A single mail server on a single IPv4
address can likewise support mail services for tens of thousands of
recipient and sender domain names.  A single name server on a single IPv4
address can also provide DNS service for tens of thusands of domain names.
For anyone needing to support big batches of end-luser clients, there is
IPv6.

Regards,
rfg