[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-2: Waiting List Block Size Restriction

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Mar 1 15:57:24 EST 2019

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:27 AM Tom Fantacone <tom at iptrading.com> wrote:
> The point is that while “The problem statement is
> pretty damning…” (quoting Kevin Blumberg), the
> sky is not falling due to the transfer
> markets.  It’s damning within the small subset of
> re-transfers of blocks received off the waiting list.

Only because that's where we've looked. We haven't examined what's
happened to the address blocks allocated in the couple years prior to
when the waiting list was activated. Nor have we looked at what's
happened to address blocks transferred and then quickly retransferred.

Have we?

> perhaps if we restrict the waiting
> list block size to a /22 these bad actors will
> start playing the same game with /22s, but we
> don’t have any evidence that will occur.

If we go this route, then when more or less the same total quantity of
fraud moves to /22, I promise to say I told you so.

The situation calls for a proactive solution. You don't thwart a
hacker by taking away the lowest of the low hanging fruit and
expecting that's good enough. It doesn't work.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>