[arin-ppml] ARIN-2019-7: Elimination of the Waiting List (was:Re: Looking for final show of support on revised Advisory Council Recommendation Regarding NRPM 4.1.8. Unmet Requests

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:42:44 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 2:39 PM Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I wish to offer a perspective from the English-speaking Caribbean.

Thank you, Carlton.

Starting as far back as 2004 and for several interrelated reasons, some of
> us have been actively encouraging companies and entities with
> Internet-aware networks to ditch their traditional arrangement for number
> resources via their ISPs and procure their IP number resources, inclusive
> of ASNs, directly from ARIN.

This is great. You already know this. It provides for independence in the
face of monopoly, at least within a border. Some control is always better
than none. The cable monopoly is not going away any time soon. Localization
is key to Internet economics in that case (see Curacao). Dedicated number
resources are required to make it work effectively and efficiently.

For the mostly 'small' networks that are in play in our region, IPv4
> resources are more than adequate to need.  And since that time, we have
> seen growth in terms of entities procuring and ARIN offering [IPv4] number
> resources and ASNs directly.
>
> Any policy or protocol that introduces more hurdles to jump or potentiates
> increased prices for our small network operations are inimical to Caribbean
> interests.

Agreed.

It now appears to us a removal of the waitlist and an auction for recovered
> IPv4 resources would be disadvantageous and negative mediators of our
> interests.

I see your thoughts as more of a roadblock than a show stopper to
dissolution of the waiting list. The region would be better served with a
tailored policy in my opinion. Similar to our friends north of the US
border re: 4.2.3.8 Reassignments for Third Party Internet Access "TPIA"
over Cable. The Caribbean  has a unique situation that may require a unique
solution to properly address it and provide equity with the rest of the
ARIN service area. The waiting list is failure for the Caribbean IMHO. The
waiting periods are near null. Any legitimate need is buried inadvertently
and less likely to be serviced that something more equitable and specific,
whether market based or not. Food for thought.

We are opposed.

Thanks, and best regards.

Martin