[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-10: Inter-RIR M&A

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Tue Jun 18 14:30:40 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 20:21 Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well, I can't see how allowing IPv6 transfers or not can be compared to a
> 'feature' and discourage people to adopt it or not. If they do this based
> on this premise it is much worse for them than for the rest of the
> internet. And going beyond as it is normally discussed in these policy
> lists it is out of the scope of a policy to force or not IPv6 adoption.
>
> About RIR 'competing' there should never be anything like that. RIRs are
> never there to compete between themselves, they are not companies that
> distribute profits in the way people are used to think. RIRs operate in a
> very different way and must be kept apart from practices that can bend
> their capacity to do a proper work within their functions.

I liken RIRs more to infrastructure service providers, the keepers of the
authoritative globally unique identifiers. Hand in hand with that there are
some actual infrastructure services we obtain from them, such as reverse
DNS delegations. For most functions in life it is relevant to have a
choice: multiple dns providers, who can use multiple dns implementations,
who can manage their networks with multiple routers multiple upstream
providers. Why we choose one or the other provider is are discrete or
private matters.

It seems to me all the layers and verticals can be done competitively and
in parallel. The only thing holding us back is the ability to transfer IPv6
blocks, or M&A arrangements like in this proposal.

Kind regards,

Job