[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-21: Reserved Pool Replenishment

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 15:08:01 EST 2019

On Mon, Dec 30, 2019 at 09:15 Joe Provo <ppml at rsuc.gweep.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 01:00:15PM -0600, David Farmer wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 12:01 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> [snip]
> > > It is certainly the case that if you wanted ARIN to do something
> different
> > > than that, the alternative would need to be clearly spelt out in
> policy ???
> > > the highly obvious nature of returning blocks to their special pools
> > > doesn???t necessarily require any specification in policy, unless it
> is being
> > > done to avoid having such blocks inadvertently become subject to new
> policy
> > > language.
> > >

> > If this policy doesn't gain consensus, I don't think it is necessary to
> put
> > the first sentence into policy separately, I agree it is a fairly obvious
> > thing to do. However, having it included in this policy makes it
> abundantly
> > clear that the second sentence doesn't somehow apply the resources
> > originally allocated from the 4.4 or 4.10 pools.  Further, the second
> > sentence, as written, applies to "any other resource", and that phrasing
> > wouldn't make much sense without the first sentence.
>
> I support both in principle and the specific text, also notably
> to provide the insurance as indicated by the tail end of John's
> paragraph above.

Well, meh.  I don’t think its totally necessary. Although I am neutral as
to its disposition. However, if this is going to be considered seriously,
it would be much better if the pools were rightsized and bracketed at three
years ( as proposal suggests) from the start. There are some technical
difficulties to be thought out there {filters, well known addresses, etc.}
but should be doable.

The initial infra policies weren’t intended to be permanent. They were
intended to be a crutch for growth occurring at a higher rate at that time.
IXP and TLD growth in the US has slowed compared to when the policy was
enacted. Everyone that needed benefit should have already gotten it.

It would seem to make sense to clean up these pools all considered.

$0.02

Warm regards,

-M<

[ clip ]*

* stole that from you in the late 80’s early 90’s. :-)