[arin-ppml] Relying on others address blocks remaining unrouted (was: Re: DoD to sell 13 x /8 of its IPv4 Blocks over the next 10 years and need for ARIN-2019-19)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat Dec 21 10:47:55 EST 2019

On 19 Dec 2019, at 6:49 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com<mailto:rfg at tristatelogic.com>> wrote:
In message <F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B849A6786A6 at newserver.arneill-py.local<mailto:F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B849A6786A6 at newserver.arneill-py.local>>, Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us<mailto:michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us>> wrote:
It displeases the operators who have been using DoD space as Industry
Standard Squat Space.

Having tried, and failed, to find the RFC that describes and designates
Industry Standard Squat Space, I've come to the conclusion that there
isn't one, and that thus, I ought to write one.

Would anyone like to volunteer to help me with this?

I'd like to have it drafted and ready to go by April 1, 2020.

<chuckle> Well, at least the day of release will be appropriate!   Remember to include sections about how using other folks IP address blocks is inherently contrary to having any routing security, so parties who expect to successfully use that approach over the long-term will just need to persuade everyone else to compromise their filter lists, routing registries, and RPKI…  ;-)

More seriously, as I have posted elsewhere -

_Anyone_ using other party's IPv4 address space & relying on it remaining unrouted on the public Internet had best be working on alternatives, as relentless market demand will win in the end.

When such blocks are finally routed, those squatting will suffer only self-inflicted injuries.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO