[arin-ppml] [EXT] Re: Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Apr 28 14:39:03 EDT 2019

In message <F04ED1585899D842B482E7ADCA581B8472A6D6E7 at newserver.arneill-py.local>,
Michel Py <michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us> wrote:

>> And as I have noted above, the same "governance" entity that paints the lines
>> on the road should also be the one enforcing those lines and those rules.
>> Anything else is  just unworkable, as history has already amply proven.
>
>If that is what you want, you need to give ARIN enforcement powers and the
>resources to do so that are  not currently there.

People toss around this word "enforcement" as if we needed a full battalion
of United Nations Blue Helments in order to just simply kick AUP violators
to the curb.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

The remedy is as simple as the crime.  Don't play by the rules?  Then all
of the WHOIS records for what used to be "your" ASNs and IP address blocks
are revoked and likewise for your reverse DNS delegations.  In short, you
violate your contract with ARIN and that contract gets revoked, according
to the terms of the contract.

This is just simply contractual enforcement of a sane (and contractually
binding) AUP.

The people who view this as somehow either radical or novel are still living
in the prior century, and apparently are such luddites that they haven't ever
even used a modern online service. e.g. Twitter, Facebook, etc., etc., etc.
and thus remain blissfully unaware of the fact that essentially -every- other
online service has, and has had, for many years now, an AUP of one kind or
another, and one which users violate at the possible cost of losing that
service.

This isn't rocket surgery.

Time for everyone to grow up a little and agree that bad behavior should
have consequences.  A vote in favor of having no consequences for anything,
ever is what I would expect from a class of third graders, not a group
of supposedly mature and thoughtful engineers.

And no, the Internet community should NOT wait around with its collective
hands in its collective pockets, hoping and wishing for law enforcement to
come in and clean up the messes that we, the technologists, have created
for ourselves through our own short-sightedness and bad designs.  It's our
mess, and we should clean it up ourselves, not wait for mommy to come in
and change our diapers for us.

Regards,
rfg