[arin-ppml] Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Apr 27 04:33:22 EDT 2019

Hi Owen,

I will be interesting to have figures about this in all the RIRs. How many are members, how many not, how many are clearly intentional vs fat fingers, etc.

Somebody already replied with an example of a member hijacking ... and this is interesting, because you know the excuse I get every other day from spammers that keep using my email addresses when I complain because they haven't deleted them from their databases?

"I'm sorry, it was a mistake, we deleted your email from the wrong database" "we recovered it from the wrong backup" day after day even if they have no right to firstly register my email without previous and explicit consent !

I know is a totally different topic but a good way to respond if members follow rules/policies/laws and is good or not to remember those rules with explicit text, so excuses are not longer excusable.

Regards,
Jordi

El 27/4/19 1:30, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> escribió:

    > On Apr 26, 2019, at 13:54 , JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Owen,
    >
    > So, you believe that if an ARIN member is repeatedly misusing the resources from another member, is just fine and the ARIN membership which rules are the policies, should not care about this behavior and members should not get their exclusive rights to use their allocated resources protected by policies?

    No… I believe that it is unlikely that ARIN members are the ones repeatedly misusing the resources.

    Really, do you have some reason to believe that the majority of hijackers are actually RIR members? I have pretty strong reason based on both experience/observation of past hijacking events and my understanding of the social fabric of RIRs to believe that is unlikely.

    > In other words. Will you at least support something in the line of:
    > "The resources are allocated for the exclusive use of the recipient. Consequently, other members can't use them (unless authorized by the legitimate resource-holder) and not following this rule is a policy violation”.

    Sure, but what’s the point? If it’s non-members that are committing the hijacking (and I believe that is the case), what good does a restriction on other members do?

    It’s sort of like saying “Law abiding citizens, please be aware that breaking the law will make you a non-law abiding citizen.”

    It’s a lovely little tautology, but at the end of the day, it’s still a no-op.

    Owen

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com