[arin-ppml] Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 26 19:29:07 EDT 2019

> On Apr 26, 2019, at 13:54 , JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> So, you believe that if an ARIN member is repeatedly misusing the resources from another member, is just fine and the ARIN membership which rules are the policies, should not care about this behavior and members should not get their exclusive rights to use their allocated resources protected by policies?

No… I believe that it is unlikely that ARIN members are the ones repeatedly misusing the resources.

Really, do you have some reason to believe that the majority of hijackers are actually RIR members? I have pretty strong reason based on both experience/observation of past hijacking events and my understanding of the social fabric of RIRs to believe that is unlikely.

> In other words. Will you at least support something in the line of:
> "The resources are allocated for the exclusive use of the recipient. Consequently, other members can't use them (unless authorized by the legitimate resource-holder) and not following this rule is a policy violation”.

Sure, but what’s the point? If it’s non-members that are committing the hijacking (and I believe that is the case), what good does a restriction on other members do?

It’s sort of like saying “Law abiding citizens, please be aware that breaking the law will make you a non-law abiding citizen.”

It’s a lovely little tautology, but at the end of the day, it’s still a no-op.

Owen