[arin-ppml] Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Apr 26 18:46:02 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 1:32 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> While ARIN has a history of minimum allocation sizes in part dictated by
> community concerns over routing table growth, that is no longer the case.
> The current minimums reflect ARIN’s DNS and RPKI based limitations.

RPKI is all about Internet routing. Though for its legal convenience rather
than any consideration for ISPs, ARIN imposes limits on folks'
participation in RPKI as well.

RDNS delegation on off-byte boundaries is a long solved problem. If ARIN's
community decided we wanted IPv4 /32 assignments to be allowed, RDNS would
not stand in the way.

Another thing to consider is that ARIN policies only apply to those
> entities receiving resources from ARIN and in some cases by extension to
> those they grant resources to through reallocation or reassignment.
>
> People hijacking prefixes, generally, are operating outside of those
> parameters to begin with, so it’s not really clear to me how such a policy
> provides any benefit in combatting the situation.

Both of which are excellent things to bring up while discussing the
proposal. Neither reasonably contributes to a conclusion that the proposal
is out of scope.

I see no way in which it provides anything but additional risk to the
> organization while failing to offer any actual benefit to the community.

A conclusion I hope the community reaches after a full and fair
consideration of the proposal on its merits.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>