[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2019-4: Allow Inter-regional IPv6 Resource Transfers

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Tue Apr 9 10:08:20 EDT 2019

On Tue, Apr 9, 2019 at 1:51 PM Joe Provo <ppml at rsuc.gweep.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2019 at 03:33:34PM +0200, Job Snijders wrote:
> > Dear ARIN community,
> [snip]
> > It should be incontestable now that ARIN resource holders are at a
> > disadvantage when it comes to RPKI services.
>
> Can I take this post as a response to my though experiment and
> that we do not need the proposed policy if the TAL issue is
> addressed?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Joe,

I believe the proposed policy has positive benefits for the ARIN
community, (even if the ARIN TAL issue is addressed in a satisfactory
manner), because an RIR's operational characteristics may evolve over
time.

Right now we have a clear example where legal barriers imposed by ARIN
have a negative impact on ARIN resource holders, but we have no
assurances that even after the situation improves (assuming it
improves), the situation doesn't degrade again, either through new
legal barriers or service availability issues. We should also consider
that different people may have different interpretations of what it
means to "resolve" the ARIN TAL issue.

I believe a degree of mobility (like exists for IPv4 resources and
ASNs) is crucial for Internet operations. This is why many of us use
open standards so they aren't locked into a single supplier. The
problem statement in ARIN-2019-4 by no means was intended as an
exhaustive list of supporting reasons, and of course it doesn't list
any future issues.

Kind regards,

Job