[arin-ppml] ARIN discontinuing DNSSEC capability to legacy holders

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri Oct 5 21:19:33 EDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 7:49 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

> On 5 Oct 2018, at 11:03 AM, Michael Sinatra <michael+ppml at burnttofu.net>
> wrote:
> > That said, I am interested in hearing from David F. or John C. as to
> what kinds of background research is initiated when a (L)RSA is initiated.
> (Sorry, I arrived at $current_employer only as the execution of the
> contracts was being completed.)  I know that there's a process for when a
> specified transfer occurs, and that process *includes* a (L)RSA, but does
> the (L)RSA trigger the background/history check or is it the other way
> around?
>

> Michael -
>
> Entry into a registration services agreement can only occur once the
> organization’s rights to the number resources have been vetted.  ARIN
> follows the rights from their original issuance to an organization, thru
> various changes (e.g. mergers/acquisitions) to the party that presently
> claims those rights, and this process involved verifying records regarding
> the legal entity (e.g. incorporation/state filing) and that the contact is
> authorized to represent the organization.  It is fairly rigorous, since
> we’d like to avoid bad actors coming in and transferring rights to address
> blocks that they don’t have…

The only thing I'd add to this is when large well-known entities, like
universities or goverment agencies, are involved this vetting is usually
fairly simple. It could be more complicated if the resource were in the
name of a project and not the entity itself. But, other than that, the
hardest part is ensuring ARIN is dealing with someone who is properly
authorized to speak for the large well-known entity.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952