[arin-ppml] ARIN discontinuing DNSSEC capability to legacy holders

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 5 07:56:32 EDT 2018

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 12:13 AM Jo Rhett <jrhett at netconsonance.com> wrote:
> What’s happening here is that you desire to not only continue to freeload when
> ARIN has spent decades trying to get you to play nice with others, but you
> want ARIN to create brand new services and then give those to you for free.

Every time the toxic arguments about legacy holders rear their head on
PPML I become more convinced that the legacy holdings should be forked
off to a distinct registry. Let legacy registrants sign a contract (or
not) which establishes no obligations on the registrant's part and buy
services (or not) as they choose. And let ARIN be ARIN without the
baggage.

As long as the legacy registrants are within ARIN, the fairness
question will remain unresolvable. It's not fair that modern
registrants face compulsions under an adhesion contract while older
registrants do not. Nor is it fair to expect older registrants to
accept an adhesion contract whose compulsive nature was not so much as
a gleam in anyone's eye when they joined the ranks of TCP/IP users.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>