[arin-ppml] LACNIC proposal to create a global internet registry

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Thu Mar 15 04:00:35 EDT 2018

>> The LACNIC community is discussing a global policy proposal to create a Global Internet Registry (GIR).
>> https://politicas.lacnic.net/politicas/detail/id/LAC-2018-1;jsessionid=419E05AAC9F2F52E5D27DDCCF4D6B727?language=en

I very much support it.

The mess that inter-regional transfers and RIRs “competing” for customers in a race-to-the-bottom have created is something of an own-goal.  This is a good first step toward correcting it.

A separate, “frozen” registry for legacy resources would be another good step.

Neither of these are new ideas, but to the best of my knowledge this is the first time either has made it as far as an actual policy proposal that can be considered and approved.

I’m all for it.

                                -Bill