[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 15:32:57 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:07 PM, Job Snijders <job at ntt.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:01:44PM -0800, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> > The thread that precipitated this proposal is here:
> >
> > http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2017-December/032112.html
> > <http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2017-December/032112.html>
> >
> > The main motivator appears to be differences in supply/demand ratios
> > for 16-bit ASNs in different regions. I agree that the problem
> > statement should capture this need.
>
> There is also the matter of consistency: when an organisation ends up
> moving a portion or all of their resources to another RIR, it would be
> strange if the ASNs have to be left behind. Renumbering ASNs can be a
> very expensive and involved process, so simply 'requesting a new one' in
> the other region may not be feasible.

Personally I'd rather not go down the "ASNs that can be represented as a
16-bit integer" rabbit hole again.  I think the better problem statement
here is Job's one here.  Maybe add something like this to the problem
statement in the proposal?

"When an organisation ends up moving a portion or all of their IPv4
resources to another RIR, it is often most efficient to transfer the ASN
used with them. Renumbering ASNs can be a very expensive and involved
process, so simply 'requesting a new one' in the other region may not be
feasible."

-Scott