[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers

Job Snijders job at ntt.net
Wed Jan 31 15:07:22 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 12:01:44PM -0800, Chris Woodfield wrote:
> The thread that precipitated this proposal is here:
>
> http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2017-December/032112.html
> <http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2017-December/032112.html>
>
> The main motivator appears to be differences in supply/demand ratios
> for 16-bit ASNs in different regions. I agree that the problem
> statement should capture this need.

There is also the matter of consistency: when an organisation ends up
moving a portion or all of their resources to another RIR, it would be
strange if the ASNs have to be left behind. Renumbering ASNs can be a
very expensive and involved process, so simply 'requesting a new one' in
the other region may not be feasible.

- Job