[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2017-9: Clarification of Initial Block Size for IPv4 ISP Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jan 26 12:40:58 EST 2018

On 26 Jan 2018, at 8:26 AM, Jason Schiller <jschiller at google.com<mailto:jschiller at google.com>> wrote:

John,

Looking back, I note that I have not made an ISP initial IPv4
request after 02/21/2017 when the policy was changed.

My previous ISP initial IPv4 requests asked for a
3 month, 12 month, and 18 month projection.

I assumed this was to comply with "4.2.2.1.3. Three Months"
that existed until 02/21/2017.

Was this information used prior to 02/21/2017?
Is this information used since 02/21/2017?

Documentation requirements for parties requesting IPv4 resources under various policies may be found here: https://www.arin.net/resources/request_ipv4.html

We are happy to research past request forms and processing to support the policy development process, but need to understand the relevance so that we can prioritize the effort.

2016-4 replaces section 4.2.2 text.

It does not clearly state that it
replaces, removes, or modifies
any of the sub sections.

4.2.2.1. ISP Requirements
4.2.2.1.1. Use of /24
4.2.2.1.2. Efficient Utilization
4.2.2.1.3. Three Months
4.2.2.1.4. Renumber and Return
4.2.2.2. [Section Number Retired]

I never noticed that the sub-section disappeared
and assumed 2016-4 only changed the 4.2.2
text.

Replacement of 4.2.2.1.1 (et al) was inherent to the policy proposal, as per the problem statement -  <https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2016_4.html>
"Problem Statement:
 New organizations without existing IPv4 space may not always be able to qualify for an initial allocation under NRPM 4.2, particularly if they are categorized as ISPs and subject to 4.2.2.1.1. Use of /24. "

If 4.2.2.1.1 and other subsections were retained, the policy change would be moot.

When I voiced my support for the 2016-4 it was
with the understanding that (at that time):

Ah, that’s unfortunate, but does somewhat explain your interesting perspective in this regard.

If you believe that a change to number resource policy is warranted, you can submit a policy proposal as documented here: https://www.arin.net/participate/how_to_participate.html

Thanks!
/John

John Curran