[arin-ppml] IPv6 Transfers (was :Draft Policy ARIN-2018-1: Allow Inter-regional ASN Transfers

David R Huberman daveid at panix.com
Thu Feb 22 15:11:50 EST 2018

> yes, there are real-world issues for 32-bit ASN users today related to
> communities. If I'd have to do a greenfield deployment of a new transit
> network today, using a 16-bit ASN would be a blocking requirement due to
> BGP communities. I imagine that for a number of years to come 16-bit
> ASNs will be more desirable than 32-bit ASNs.

Exactly this.  I left my former $dayjob at the end of November 2017 at a
$hugecompany building a greenfield network at cloud scale.  It was not
possible for us to use 32-bit ASNs and do TE'ing the way we wanted to.
Because it was a $hugecompany, we were able to grab a 16-bit ASN from
other parts of the company and use it instead.  But we tried 32-bit, and
it failed to meet our basic network architecture requirements.